Did you purchase a new T.V set or a home theater system that has left you feeling underwhelmed by the quality of sound that you are able to get from it?
Bookshelf speakers can help!
In order to enhance your listening experience in a situation like this – or simply when more powerful sound is the ultimate aim – a good pair of the top bookshelf speakers below can help to elevate your overall experience.
If budget isn’t really a big concern and you are looking for the best bookshelf speakers under 1000, this is the lineup for you!
Quick Answer: 9 Top Bookshelf Speakers Under $1000
- SVS Ultra – Top Pick
- KEF Q350 – Runner-Up
- Klipsch RP-600M
- Definitive Technology D11
- Audioengine HD6
- Definitive Technology D9
- TANNOY Revolution XT 6
- Dynaudio Xeo 2
- DALI Zensor 3
Researching Bookshelf Speakers Under $1000
For those of you who are in a hurry and just want an overview of the best bookshelf speakers in the under $1000 category, the quick list mentioned above may be enough.
If it isn’t possible for you to make an informed decision without delving deeper into the features of the nine different options on the list – this next section is for you!
Perhaps you want to push your budget a bit more and take a look at the best high end bookshelf speakers?
To help you through this process, we have reviewed each of the bookshelf speakers and examined the main advantages and drawbacks associated with each product.
Keep reading for more!
Alternatively if you want to get the speakers and system as one, I recommend you have a look at our list of the best bookshelf stereo systems.
The Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $1000 In 2020
1. SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review
- Reference bookshelf speakers with flawless tonal balance, stunning dynamics, unveiled highs and amazing low frequency extension. The Ultra Bookshelf speakers perform in the echelon of the world’s...
- 6.5-inch mid-bass drivers feature composite glass-fiber cones that yield excellent stiffness to mass ratio for enhanced sensitivity and voicing that’s transparent and completely faithful to the...
One of the best bookshelf speakers across the board is manufactured by SVS — the SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers.
If you are one of those people who like to listen to music or watch movies at really high volumes, the SVS Ultra is a great pair of speakers for you because of its 87 dB sensitivity combined with an impressive frequency range response.
There is no denying that these speakers are fairly expensive but there is a good reason for that. They are beautifully constructed with exquisite materials and a sturdy cabinet design, which gives you sound reproduction that is extremely transparent, especially in the mid-range category.
The sound-stage is very wide and the bass content is also one of the best in the range and the best part is that low-frequency reproduction does not get messed up in the process. Overall, this will be a step up from the very popular Primes by the same company.
- The no-frills build and looks of the speakers make them an evergreen option that will not go out of style.
- The SVS Ultra speakers have the capability of handling both 8 ohms and 4 ohms in terms of impedance without any physical damage to the system.
- Along with a sensitivity of 87 dB, these speakers also boast of a very wide frequency response range from 45 Hz to 32 kHz, which is tough to replicate with cheaper speakers.
- If you are looking for a set of bookshelf speakers to add to your home theater installation, these are one of the best options as the tweeters are able to reproduce speech as well as music.
- The sound projection capabilities of these speakers are not as wide as you may have liked them to be.
- Even within this price category, these are some of the most expensive sets of bookshelf speakers.
- The speakers can seem a little power hungry, as they need amplified signals of at least 20 watts to give you the best possible performance.
2. KEF Q350 Review
- The KEF Q350 Bookshelf Speaker is the newest iteration of KEF award-winning Q Series. The Q350 features a new cabinet, sleek new finishes, and an improved 6.5” Uni-Q driver Array.
- The Q350 contains an enhanced Uni-Q driver Array designed to smooth out treble frequencies, and reimagined crossovers to provide cleaner and more accurate bass.
A great option for people who want powerful sound but can’t afford to spend as much as the SVS speakers demand, the KEF Q350 is one of the newer options in the award-winning Q series by the company.
This pair of speakers come with a newer cabinet and finishes that make them look even better than any of the previous models manufactured by the company.
Built to smooth out the treble frequencies with the help of the improved Q-driver Array, the KEF Q350 is equipped with the company’s re-imagined crossovers so that you are able to get the most accurate bass production out of all other KEF products in the similar price range, which can help you fill any room with the depth of sound that is unmatched.
As you listen to this set of speakers over a period of time, you may also notice an improvement in the quality of sound as they open up further.
- These speakers offer some of the best value in terms of features and performance.
- It is very easy to mount the optional magnetic grilles as the baffle is integrated well into the shell of the speakers.
- The lower treble register performance is enhanced greatly because of the built-in damped tweeters.
- A good option for people looking for better resonance and clarity, as the mid-range leakages are reduced because of the product’s dynamic port design.
- There may be issues with too much vibration if these speakers are kept on shelves that aren’t very sturdy.
- For some of the more expensive speakers available in the market, the lack of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity can be a deal-breaker for some.
- The product does not come with grilles, which will have to be bought separately.
3. Klipsch RP-600M Review
- 1” titanium lts vented tweeter with hybrid tractrix Horn
- 6.5" Spun copper cerametallic woofers
- Bass-reflex via rear-firing tractrix port
One of the best powered speakers available for purchase at a relatively affordable price point is the Klipsch RP-600M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers.
While Klipsch products are all pretty impressive in terms of the technology employed, this particular pair of speakers have been redesigned from the basics to incorporate some of the big improvements that end up making this one of those speakers that you must get.
The cerametallic woofers give you that bass that you’d want to write home about, providing power that can fill all the corners of your home.
The vented tweeters help in reducing the standing waves that can end up creating harmonics that ruin the listening experience.
The Klipsch model is built with copper anodized trim rings, cast aluminum feet, satin painted baffles and more, which end up giving the speakers that premium feel that you can flaunt in front of guests.
- This is a very affordable speaker, as it comes on the lower end of the price spectrum.
- The size of these speakers is very convenient and can be placed on shelves or mounted on walls with relative ease.
- The metal grilles included in the packaging are removable if you’d rather not have them on.
- The quality of sound produced is fairly impressive, especially if clear acoustics is what you are looking for in a speaker.
- The speakers do not come with a digital remote control, which means it needs to be manually operated.
- There is no option for Bluetooth integration, which is an important consideration in this price range.
4. Definitive Technology D11 Bookshelf Speaker Review
- Each Demand Series D11 Bookshelf speaker FEATURES A PROPRIETARY 6.5" BDSS driver, a 1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter with 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens & Laterally Offset Tweeter Assembly for a precise center...
The flagship product from Definitive Technology’s Demand Series, the D11 is another great option for people who have a budget that allows for this.
Available in a piano black as well as a silver finish, these speakers can add a little extra tough of finesse to your home theater setup. If the looks aren’t a major factor of consideration for you, the sound emitted by this set of speakers has the capacity of blowing you away with its clarity and intensity.
The D11 gives you accurate imaging and sound-stage production that is unparalleled when compared with speakers in the same range.
The bass is also impressive, giving you a punch with a little brightness and treble that is both very clear but doesn’t have a sharp edge.
In addition to this, you get all the benefits of an aluminum baffle combined with magnetic grilles for minimal distortion and a detailed performance.
- If your aesthetic is modern with clear cut lines, this product has been made for you especially, as it can blend seamlessly into any surroundings but still remain a topic of conversation.
- The high-performance woofers and laterally placed tweeters make for one of the best listening experiences because of the three-dimensional effect that they create when switched on.
- If you are looking for more depth and a stronger punch with your audio, the passive bass radiator integration is a welcome addition.
- The speakers are not built to handle wireless connections, which is important for all such products today.
- There is no remote control with the speakers, which is one of those basics that you expect from one of the most expensive speakers on this list.
5. Audioengine HD6 Review
- POWERED BLUETOOTH BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS WITH INTEGRATED DAC: The HD6 Bluetooth Speakers feature built-in analog power amplifiers that bring you incredible audio. The aptX HD Bluetooth codec with 100 foot...
Wireless technology is one of those basic qualities that the newer bookshelf speakers need to have in order to be in the race for the best bookshelf speakers in this price category.
The Audioengine HD6 150W Wireless Powered bookshelf speakers are equipped with traditional IO ports like RCA plugs so that all you audiophiles can make the most of the traditional speaker experience without bulking you down with an inordinately large size.
Compact enough to fit most bookshelves, these speakers are fitted with the aptX HD audio codec so that it can be used with encrypted streaming audio if you aren’t too particular about the purity of your music.
Full disclosure — these speakers aren’t exactly cheap, but they also aren’t the most expensive options on the horizon. Ideal for many different sizes of rooms, there isn’t a stark difference to be noticed if you place these powered bookshelf speakers in a small study room or a relatively larger hall.
- The overall construction of the speakers is quite beautiful, even giving you the option to choose from four different finishes so that you can get one that is in line with your decor.
- The speakers are built to offer a sensitivity of about 95 dB along with a pretty good frequency response range of between 50 Hz and 22 kHz.
- Even without a receiver, the Audioengine HD6 are able to put out 150 watts of power, which is pretty impressive.
- They are Bluetooth enabled, which is important for ease of use.
- As you move towards the higher frequency, the performance can seem a little lacking and slightly subdued.
- If you are looking to mount these speakers on a stand, that will have to be purchased separately.
6. Definitive Technology D9 Review
- Each Demand Series D9 Bookshelf speaker FEATURES A PROPRIETARY 5.25-inch BDSS driver, a 1-inch Aluminum Dome Tweeter with 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens & Laterally Offset Tweeter Assembly for a precise...
The other Definitive Technology set of speakers that have made it onto our lineup are the D9s, which are the mid-range set of speakers from the company’s Demand Series.
While the D11s are definitely the more impressive set of speakers available for purchase, the D9 high-performance bookshelf speakers are great for people who don’t want to spend so much money but want a decent product that elevates their overall listening experience.
While there is a slight chance of faltering when it comes to the mid-range tones, the detailing offered by the products is especially impressive. The sound stage and imaging take your experience to the next level, especially when you aren’t looking to spend the full $1,000 on a set of speakers.
- At a price tag that is lower than the company’s D11 speakers, you are able to make the most of the wide imaging properties of the speakers.
- The speakers have been designed very well, which means that they will not act as an eyesore with the rest of your setup at home.
- The company has paid a lot of attention to the detailing, which translates into high-quality audio that will help in elevating your listening experience.
- The overall performance is not as impressive in terms of sound quality as is offered by the D11 speakers by the same company.
- When it comes to sound reproduction, the mid-range tones are not delivered with the same sophistication that one expects from an expensive set of bookshelf speakers.
7. TANNOY Revolution XT 6 Review
- Torus Ogive WaveGuide and Omnimagnet technology
- 150 mm (6-inch) multi-fibre cone driver
- 25 mm (1-inch) Linear PEI dome tweeter
For people who are constantly entertaining tons of guests and want some party speakers in their house, the TANNOY Revolution XT 6 Bookshelf Speaker top our list of suggestions.
These speakers are particularly great to look at, looking even more expensive than they actually are — which itself is the top end of the budget that most people have.
Keep in mind that these aren’t exactly small speakers that you can put in any corner of your home. They will attract attention and try to be the center of the room that they are placed in. However, you must avoid keeping these speakers on hardwood floors as they may cause some damage.
Keep an eye out for these details and you will have the party starter in your hands.
- If you are a person who is entertaining guests regularly and wants to invest in a speaker that is great for parties, this can be your go-to option.
- This product is quite different from the others on this list, especially in terms of appearance. The wooden accents lend a sophisticated touch.
- The speakers really shine when it comes to the delivery of low as well as mid-range notes.
- If you are living in an apartment and want a set of speakers that will work well in such a limited space, this may not be the best bookshelf speaker for you.
- The price is quite high — one of the most expensive speakers on the list.
8. Dynaudio Xeo 2 Review
- Control from the supplied remote control or using the touch-sensitive buttons on top of the cabinet.
- Xeo 2s can play anything you stream to them wirelessly via Bluetooth from any compatible device.
One of the best options for people who have a decent budget for bookshelf speakers is the Xeo 2 by Dynaudio, a beautifully constructed set of wireless speakers for TV that you can place wherever you heart desires.
The sound produced by these speakers is so much more than you expect from a set of speakers of this size — relatively compact.
Some people fear that using Bluetooth will reduce the quality of their music, but that isn’t the case with these speakers with an ultra-rigid coned 14 cm mid/bass driver and a high-performance 28 mm tweeter, you can expect sound quality that will blow your socks off.
At the same time, the company uses coherent phase linear FIR filters and Adaptive Bass technology to give you a good low-frequency response.
- This is a very compact speaker which will not take up too much space, yet give an increasingly powerful performance.
- It is equipped with Bluetooth connectivity as well as the traditional input hookups.
- The wireless nature of these speakers makes them very convenient to move around.
- The pricing is very competitive for the number of features that you get with this purchase.
- It can take a little bit of work to get the sweet spot in terms of placement with these speakers, as the audio quality can get affected quite easily.
- The Bluetooth range can be unsuitable for some people.
9. DALI Zensor 3 Review
- Ideal for Streaming and Computer-Audio Systems
- Equipped with a built-in 50Wpc Class D amplifier
- Onboard aptX Bluetooth support
The last option on this list is the Zensor 3 speakers by Dali. Equipped with one of the largest woofers in the category, the low-end sound reproduction is unmatched with this set of speakers.
You don’t even have to worry about the mids and the highs, as the tweeters fitted into the speakers give you the perfect balance without distortions that cause that odd vibration.
It isn’t just about finding the right set of speakers for the price range — these are some of the best speakers overall.
- The speakers have been designed to give you a smooth performance across the full spectrum of tones with an impressive sound curve.
- The frequency response range is also very impressive, starting from about 50 Hz and going up to over 26 kHz. The sensitivity stands at about 87 dB.
- They are very compact and light, but that doesn’t take away from the powerful, clear and crisp sound quality that the Zensor 3 gives you.
- The seven-inch woofer is complemented by the one-inch soft dome tweeter for a beautiful sound.
- It may cost you more as a customer in North America than it costs a customer who is purchasing the same set of speakers in Europe.
- As the speakers come with only single wiring terminals, they may not be compatible with some of the newer stereo devices. There is a fear of the technology getting bypassed soon enough.
What to Expect from a Bookshelf Speaker in This Price Range
This is one of the higher price ranges when it comes to bookshelf speakers, as these products are also available at really inexpensive prices — as low as $60. However, there is no denying that a pair of bookshelf speakers that you purchase for $100 will give you a different performance and not the best sound when compared to speakers bought for $1,000.
For example, many of the cheaper speakers will have a much lower frequency response range and have a reproduction of tones that lacks the crispness and clarity for which you are opting for bookshelf speakers in the first place.
In this section, we will go into some detail about what you can expect from the best bookshelf speakers under 1000 dollars.
Speaker Product Quality
Most cheap speakers are built using plastic that isn’t of the best quality and ends up leaving your speakers feeling weak and prone to damage. By investing in a relatively expensive pair of bookshelf speakers, you don’t have to bother with cheaply constructed devices that can give up on you at any time. Instead, most of these products are of great quality and built using materials like metal and wood, which not just enhances the overall look of the product, but also the quality of sound that the speakers are going to produce.
Most people look to buy bookshelf speakers so that they can get a more powerful performance out of their existing equipment. With cheap speakers — especially the ones below the $200 range and even some bookshelf speakers in the under $500 range — you cannot be assured of this superior performance, as there is very little uniformity in terms of performance.
While some of the speakers may be capable of performing exceedingly well in terms of the bass and mids, the higher notes may lack clarity or vice versa. With a good quality set of bookshelf speakers — the above $500 range, especially for audiophiles — you get uniformly impressive performance across the board.
Room Size For Bookshelf Speakers
Many of the cheaper speakers are only suitable for small rooms and begin to falter if placed in even medium-sized or slightly larger rooms. While there is no direct link between an expensive set of bookshelf speakers and larger room sizes, you can expect a much stronger performance from all the speakers that have made it to this list.
This stronger performance then translates to good enough audio even in rooms that are slightly larger. The clarity and crispness associated with these speakers will make them a winner of any contest that you hold between these speakers and those that may cost you lesser, and are definitely worth a look.
Often known as self-powered or active speakers, powered speakers do not need a separate amplifier to be used with them, as they come with in-built power amps. In this price range, most bookshelf speakers that will be available for purchase are powered speakers.
This means that you don’t have to spend extra money in getting separate amplifiers to get the best performance out of the devices. They’re built to provide you all that you need.
Bookshelf Speaker Additional Features
Finally, the speakers in this price bracket usually come with a wide range of features that you cannot expect from cheap bookshelf speakers that may seem like a good buy when you first buy them. Nothing is average about the speakers on this list.
Bookshelf speakers in this price range usually come fitted with some of the companies best innovations in the form of customized transducers, tweeters, cones and woofers, which have been built after tons of research and development. This doesn’t just stop here. The features aren’t limited to the inside of the speakers, but also extend to the outside in terms of aesthetic value.
Transform Your Audio Experience With Bookshelf Speakers
Investing in the best top quality audio equipment does not just enhance your listening experience by a couple of notches, it has the capability of completely transforming how you listen to music, watch movies and TV shows or play games.
With a $1,000 budget, you can gain access to a wide range of top products, but not all of these will be worth your time and money. Instead, it is important that you try and gauge which of these bookshelf speakers align with your personal requirements and choose that even if there is some money left on your budget.
More expensive doesn’t necessarily translate to better, but you can be assured of additional features, great servicing and a good overall experience.
The best bookshelf speakers under 1000 dollars that made it to this lineup have proven to be some of the best options currently available for purchase, and you will not be disappointed if you choose one among them!
- Powered vs Unpowered Speakers: 3 Reasons Why We Love Powered PA Speakers
- 9 Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $200 In 2020 – Our Top Picks Only
- 9 Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $1000 (Top Brands & Quality)
- 9 Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $500 – The Sweet Spot For Affordability & Great Performance
- Best Boombox In 2020 – 10 Top Bluetooth, Waterproof, Portable & Small Models
Simon is a music lover, musical instrument player and passionate audio afficionado. When he is not playing the guitar or listening to music he is either eating tacos or snoring too loudly.