Last Updated on
Music is something that doesn’t leave any part of the world untouched. Everyone has their preferences that may differ from a lot of others, but there is no person who would like to live in a world without music.
If you have a special interest in music, however, you may be looking for ways to enhance your overall listening experiences.
While there are a lot of good headphone options, listening to music with others has a special feel but not every speaker can give you the experience you desire.
This is where a good subwoofer designed for music listening can make a huge difference, so let’s look at some of the best subwoofers for music available right now.
Quick List: 7 Best Subwoofers for Music in 2019
- Best Overall – SVS SB-2000
- Best Small Subwoofer for Music – Yamaha 8-inch 100W
- Best Powered Subwoofer for Music – ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $1000 – Sonos Sub Subwoofer
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $500 – REL Acoustics HT/1003
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $300 – Polk Audio PSW505
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $100 – Monoprice 108248
|SVS SB-2000||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Yamaha NS-SW050||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Sonos Sub Subwoofer||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|REL Acoustics HT/1003||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Polk Audio PSW505||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|Monoprice 108248||VIEW ON AMAZON|
Subwoofer for Music Reviews
The list mentioned above may have been a good introduction to the many different categories of subwoofers that are available for purchase, but that isn’t enough for you to make a choice.
In order to get a better understanding of the features of each of these subwoofers and the many advantages and drawbacks of choosing any particular product, we have drawn up brief reviews of the best options in each category mentioned above.
Keep reading if you are looking for a subwoofer to use with your tower speakers for music listening and want to be impressed!
Best Overall: SVS SB-2000
- The SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer combines power, quickness, intelligent processing, and innovative driver design to deliver an unrivaled bass experience for music, movies, TV and everything you listen to
The first option on the list — and our pick for the best overall subwoofer for music — is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer. Weighing close to 35 pounds, this is a 12-inch front-firing woofer that comes with an in-built 500 watt RMS amplifier.
This is a sealed subwoofer with the amplifier sealed in a 14.6-inch by 14.2-inch by 15.4-inch enclosure that gives you the best listening experience each time.
Available in two different colors — black ash and piano gloss black — you might be expected to pay a little extra depending on the one you choose.
While this is one of the more expensive subwoofers on this list, it is able to provide you with impeccable sound quality at a vast range — between 19Hz and 220Hz. The product comes equipped with a standby mode, where energy consumption is lower than 0.5 watts.
- Regardless of the musical genres that you are into, the SB-2000 gives you a performance that is deeper and more detailed even at lower frequencies.
- The mids are allowed to breathe and the denser parts are resolved with great ease by this subwoofer.
- The wireless connecting option through the SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter is very easy to set up and use thereafter.
- If wireless audio transmission is something you are looking at, the SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter is going to cost more than a lot of other options.
- The product doesn’t have the option of app control or room correction at this level.
Best Small: Yamaha 8-inch 100W
- New Twisted Flare Port contributes to clear and tight bass
- Advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II)
- 8” cone woofer
If you are looking for a product that will take the quality of sound to the next level without you having to break your bank, the Yamaha 8-inch 100 watt powered subwoofer may be the best option for you. It is relatively small and compact, which means you can place it anywhere in the house without chalking out a special place for the subwoofer.
Even though this speaker is stylishly designed, that isn’t the only thing that works in its favor. This comes with the new twisted flare port for a clearer and tighter bass, and the advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II), which allows the sub to compensate for the negative effects of speaker impedance, thus improving the motion control.
While this product is not specifically designed for listening to music or your home theater system, it works equally well when it comes to music, movies or even games.
Finally, one of the best things about this particular product is its price. While this may not be the cheapest subwoofer that you can find, it is worth every penny that you will be spending.
- This is a well-designed subwoofer that is compact and easy to place wherever you may need that extra kick.
- This is one of the most affordable options on our list.
- It has a very strong bass response because of the new sound technology adopted by the company.
- If you are planning to place the subwoofer in a large room, it may not be as effective as you’d like.
- The unit does not come with cables included in the packaging.
Best-Powered Subwoofer: ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030r
- Advanced Bluetooth Control - Sub3030 incorporates our advanced digital Control system. Download the Elac subeq app for your smartphone and have complete control of multiple subwoofers at the same time
One of the most powerful subwoofers on this list is the ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer and this is also our pick for the best-powered subwoofer for music.
Often touted as one of the best products in its range, this subwoofer gives you 500 watts RMS and a 1000 watts peak performance so that you get a bass that is solid and not just a small improvement on your existing speakers.
An interesting feature is that there are no physical controls on this device; you have to download the iOS or Android app and use your Bluetooth connection to control its functionality. The BASH amplifiers are great for tracking the input signal and adjusting the supply voltage for the class AB amplifier.
With a decent frequency range, you will be getting a sub that offers a rich and more detailed sound quality without breaking your bank. Overall, this is a highly efficient and powerful subwoofer that gets things done.
- The advanced Bluetooth control is very helpful, as it allows you to control your subwoofer even from a distance.
- The device has a high range of frequency response — between 25Hz and 150Hz.
- While this may seem relatively expensive when compared to a lot of the other options, it offers true value for money, as you get unbelievable power with this device.
- This product is great for people who want an absolutely hands-off experience.
- The subwoofer is slightly larger than a lot of others on this list, which means it won’t be easy to move it around too much.
- There have been some reports of connectivity issues arising while using this product.
Best Under $1000: Sonos Sub
- The wireless subwoofer for deep bass.
- Hear and feel the difference when you wirelessly connect Sub to your Sonos system.
- Stand it upright, place it on its side, or tuck it under the couch.
If you are looking for a product that blows you away with its power and sound quality, while giving you hands-free control of the device, you don’t need to look further than the Sonos Sub.
The Sonos has been designed to deliver bass that is deep and sound that is clear, without distortion even at lower frequencies. It can be connected to your Wi-Fi network at home, linked to the Sonos app and even integrated to your Amazon Alexa devices to control through voice commands.
It is also equipped with two different force-canceling speaker drivers that ensure that your music isn’t sullied with a cabinet buzz or any rattling disturbances. The only issue is that you will be required to buy products only from within the Sonos ecosystem, as it isn’t compatible with products from other manufacturers.
- The Sonos Sub can be linked to home automation devices like the Amazon Alexa and then be controlled through voice commands.
- The app is intuitive and easy to use.
- The sound quality that this unit offers is simply remarkable.
- The sub is equipped with two force-canceling speaker drivers that are positioned facing each other.
- This is one of the more expensive products available in the market when it comes to subwoofers but still doesn’t come close to the $1,000 mark.
- You cannot use this with speakers from any other manufacturer, so you will be locked into the Sonos ecosystem.
Best Under $500: REL Acoustics HT/1003
- Extremely high output for chest rumbling home theater special effects.
- Powerful, Pure Home Theater Subwoofer. Perfect for home theater systems that need a little extra oomph. Matches well with any system. Use a single HT/1003 in rooms 100-300 sq. ft. or a pair for rooms...
Not everyone is comfortable with spending $1,000 on a subwoofer, so we have gone down one notch to find you the best option under $500 and our pick is the REL Acoustics HT/1003 Subwoofer.
While this is a subwoofer specifically designed for home theaters, the sound quality is good enough to alleviate your music experience as well.
In a departure from REL’s conventional input from the stereo amplifier’s speaker terminals, the HT/1003 has been designed to offer RCA and LFE inputs, so that it is more in line with the newer speaker setups.
The unit has an output of 300 watts of RMS power, which means it is powerful enough to give you sound that is simply spectacular. While the look of the subwoofer is not something that you’d write home about, the sound quality can make up for that disadvantage.
- This product is able to give you good quality output without leaving a huge, gaping hole in your pocket.
- The changes in inputs is a departure from the original construction of the subwoofers made by the company and is a welcome step for better compatibility.
- You don’t have to bother yourself with going about any assembly, as it comes ready to install.
- The product isn’t designed very well, so you may not want to show off this subwoofer because of the outdated design.
- The company is working on wireless compatibility but it isn’t included in the construction of this product.
Best Under $300: Polk Audio PSW505
- HEART THUMPING MUSIC WITH DEEP, POWERFUL BASS Polk's 12 inch Dynamic Balance Woofer sounds better because it is built better. Make your movies, music and sports experience thrilling
Our pick for the best subwoofer for listening to music in the under-$300 category is the Polk Audio PSW505 12-inch powered subwoofer.
One of the many budget subwoofers that are available in the market, this is the absolute best 12-inch subwoofer when it comes to giving you accurate and clear sound without the turbulence or distortion that can sometimes accompany the music.
It comes with a 12-inch driver that gives better linearity to the sound, along with an overall solid MDF construction that has a 1-inch front baffle. The adjustable low pass crossover, volume control and phase switch are all great features that take your listening experience to the next level.
One thing that you must keep in mind, however, is that the amplifier will be turned off automatically if there is no signal for over 15 minutes. This may be helpful in saving on energy consumption in the long run.
While this product may not be the most impressive or flashy one available, this gives you absolute value for your money.
- The product is designed to not attract any attention to itself. It lets the sound speak for itself.
- The sound quality is very impressive for the price that you will be paying, which makes it a great deal.
- The bass delivered by this sub is powerful enough to elevate your listening experience.
- The product can be a little bulky and heavy to move around according to your convenience.
- The sound can get a little distorted at very high volumes.
Best Under $100 — Monoprice 108248
- This is an 8" powered subwoofer capable of producing 60 watts (RMS) output. The subwoofer has a frequency response range of 50 to 250 Hz with a lowpass crossover filter, which can be adjusted from 50...
There are a lot of people who don’t get the hype behind subwoofers but as people who have seen a complete overhaul of the listening experience, we recommend that you try these devices before judging.
If you don’t want to spend too much money on just trying something new, the Monoprice 108248 8-Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer is definitely going to be worth your time and money.
While it may seem a little boring that the company did not even decide to give an actual name to the subwoofer, you are getting what you pay for.
The frequency range stands at about 50Hz and 150Hz, which is significantly lower than most other options on the list, but so is the price. For a fraction of what you would be paying for one of the more sophisticated options, you stand to get decent bass and strong overall performance, which is great for people who want to experience how subwoofers can make a difference to their listening experience.
- The price is unmatched. This is one of the most affordable subwoofers available in the market right now.
- While the unit is very simply designed, it does accept both line and speaker level inputs, which increase its functionality.
- The bass provided by this device is good enough for rooms in your house or enclosed spaces.
- You cannot expect the same quality as some of the more advanced subwoofers that have been mentioned on this list.
- The frequency response range is relatively lower than the other subwoofers, standing between 50Hz and 150Hz.
6 Reasons You Need a Subwoofer for Music
Many people find themselves conflicted over whether or not they should spend their money buying a subwoofer to augment the original sound quality of their speakers or not, but if you have used a subwoofer with your speakers for music, you already know the answer to this dilemma.
Subwoofers are not going to steal the thunder from your speakers; they will simply augment the quality of the sound that reaches your ears when you put on your favorite music. Here are some of the reasons why it is recommended that you get a good quality subwoofer in your life:
Reveals Sounds That Your Speaker Cannot Reproduce Alone
Regardless of how much money you spend on your speakers, most of them start dropping off notes when it comes down to about 50Hz. This means you aren’t able to get the full depth and clarity of the bass that has the capacity of changing your entire experience altogether.
If you invest in a good quality subwoofer, you may be able to even reach sounds lower than 20Hz, transforming your entire experience, as you don’t face the risk of missing even a single note here and there. Therefore, subs can be your path to a completely immersive music experience.
Reduced Distortion Even at Loud Volumes
While lower sounds can be difficult for some speakers to detect clearly, very high volumes can also lead to a drastic drop in the quality of your music. The main reason behind this is that your speakers may be facing trouble when it comes to keeping up with some of the mid drivers or the tweeters that are being produced at excessively high volumes.
If you want your music to be free of distortions regardless of the volume you are listening to it at, investing in a subwoofer may be a good option.
Reproduces All Notes of the Low-Frequency Spectrum
A lot of the speakers that are available for purchase in the market have a particular signature that gets added to the music that you are playing on it. With a good quality subwoofer, this isn’t the case. These little — or big — devices are designed to give you access to the exact bass notes that the music and the artist are looking to deliver to the people who are listening to the music.
This means that if you add a subwoofer for your music, you will be able to get a more authentic listening experience.
Great Speed and Transient Response
Music isn’t solely developed on the basis of the speakers that you will be listening to it on. For this reason, there are many genres that have a bunch of quick starts and stops that can be tough on your speakers, which may end up missing some notes. This can make the acoustics sound a little distorted. With a subwoofer that has good speed and transient response, the bass will not be smeared and you will get a more precise feel of the music that you are playing.
Enhances Quality by Blending with Your Speaker Seamlessly
As was mentioned before, the subwoofer is not trying to overpower the speakers that you are using. The entire rationale behind employing a speaker is getting an enhanced experience that doesn’t stand out too much from the original sound that the speaker would be producing.
The ultimate test of a good subwoofer is whether it is able to act as an extension of the speakers that you are using. It is the tool that helps your speakers reach their best performance.
Getting More Out of Smaller Speakers
Finally, another reason why you may want to add a subwoofer to your existing speakers is that it can help you get a better performance out of speakers that are relatively smaller.
A low-frequency amplifier and a bass management system are usually a part of the parcel when it comes to powered subwoofers. By using a sub, you may be able to drive any kind of speaker to a better overall performance.
Enhance Your Listening Experience
After going through the list of the top subwoofers for music, you may find yourself better equipped to make a decision when it comes to purchasing and adding a subwoofer to your listening experience so that the ‘feel’ of the music is enhanced exponentially.
With the different product options available at various price points, there is a sub here to fit any budget and any need. For example, if you aren’t really sure about the difference a subwoofer is going to make, you can choose one of the budget options.
If you already have owned a subwoofer in the past, you may be inclined to invest in something that enhances the experience even further. There is something here for everyone.