If you’re a true music aficionado searching for the perfect auditory bliss, you’ve come to the right place. A world of booming bass and unparalleled audio experiences! Today, we embark on a journey to explore the realm of the best subwoofers for music, where every beat, every note, and every rhythm will resonate deep within your soul.
Music is something that doesn’t leave any part of the world untouched.
Everyone has preferences that may differ from many others, but no person would like to live in a world without music.
While many good headphone options exist, listening to music with others has a unique feel. But not every speaker can give you the experience you desire.
This is where a good subwoofer designed for music listening can make a huge difference. So let’s look at some of the best subwoofers for music available right now.
Quick List: 7 Best Subwoofers for Music in 2023
- Best Overall – SVS SB-1000
- Best Small Subwoofer for Music – Yamaha 8-inch 100W
- Best Powered Subwoofer for Music – ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $1000 – Sonos Sub Subwoofer
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $500 – ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $300 – Polk Audio PSW10
- Best Subwoofer for Music Under $100 – Monoprice 108248
Best Subwoofers for Music Reviews
To better understand the features of each of these subwoofers and the many advantages and drawbacks of choosing any particular product, we have drawn up brief reviews of the best options in each category mentioned above.
Keep reading if you are looking for a subwoofer to use with your tower speakers for music listening.
1. Best Overall: SVS SB-1000
- 325 Watts RMS and 820+ Watts Peak Power Sledge STA-325D Amplifier combines massive high current output of discrete MOSFETs with Class D efficiency. Boasting vanishingly low distortion the unique...
Despite being an entry-level product, the SB-1000 Pro’s design is remarkable. Despite being reasonably lightweight (26 pounds), the frame has a tank-like weight and solidity. We particularly enjoy the fact that there are no angled corners.
The Sledge STA-325D Amplifier offers enormous power to drive the subwoofer with a 325-watt solid RMS amplifier and a peak power of 820+ watts. With this power output, the SB-1000 Pro can handle even the most demanding audio passages effortlessly. This subwoofer will offer powerful bass that gives your audio material a new level.
A 12-inch high-excursion SVS driver drives the SB-1000 Pro’s performance. This driver moves a lot of air, which results in a crisp and powerful sound that fills the space. Thanks to the dual ferrite magnet motor assembly and long-throw parabolic surround, the driver can produce tremendous excursion, enabling the deep bass extension. The SB-1000 Pro ensures that you feel every subtlety of the bass, regardless of how low the frequencies go, providing a visceral and immersive listening experience.
- The price increase from the previous model.
- The controls are so simple.
- The SVS SB-1000 Pro produces crystal clear, engaging, and detailed bass.
- Not suitable for large areas.
- Though pretty good entry-level, there are some cheaper products.
2. Best Small: Yamaha 8-inch 100W
- New twisted flare port contributes to clear and tight bass
- Advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II)
- 8” cone woofer
If you are looking for a product that will take sound quality to the next level without you having to break the bank, the Yamaha 8-inch 100-watt powered subwoofer may be the best option for you. It is relatively small and compact, so you can place it anywhere in the house without chalking out a special place for the subwoofer.
Even though this speaker is stylishly designed, that isn’t the only thing that works in its favor. This comes with the new twisted flare port for a more precise and tighter bass and the advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II), which allows the sub to compensate for the adverse effects of speaker impedance, thus improving the motion control.
While this product is not specifically designed for listening to music or your home theater system, it works equally well for music, movies, or even games.
Finally, price is one of the best things about this particular product. This may not be the cheapest subwoofer, but it is worth every penny you spend.
- This well-designed subwoofer is compact and easy to place wherever you may need that extra kick.
- This is one of the most affordable options on our list.
- It has a robust bass response because of the new sound technology adopted by the company.
- If you are planning to place the subwoofer in a large room, it may not be as effective as you’d like.
- The unit does not come with cables included in the packaging.
3. Best Powered Subwoofer: ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030r
No products found.
One of the most potent subwoofers on this list is the ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer, and this is also our pick for the best-powered subwoofer for music.
Often touted as one of the best products in its range, this subwoofer gives you 500 watts RMS and a 1000 watts peak performance to get a solid bass and not just a slight improvement on your existing speakers.
An exciting feature is that this device has no physical controls; you have to download the iOS or Android app and use your Bluetooth connection to control its functionality. The BASH amplifiers are great for tracking the input signal and adjusting the supply voltage for the class AB amplifier.
With a decent frequency range, you will get a sub offering a rich and more detailed sound quality without breaking the bank. Overall, this highly efficient and powerful subwoofer gets things done.
- The advanced Bluetooth control is beneficial, allowing you to control your subwoofer even from a distance.
- The device has a high frequency response range — between 25Hz and 150Hz.
- While this may seem relatively expensive compared to many other options, it offers actual value for money, as you get unbelievable power with this device.
- This product is excellent for people who want a hands-off experience.
- The subwoofer is slightly larger than many others on this list, which means it won’t be easy to move it around too much.
- There have been some reports of connectivity issues arising while using this product.
4. Best Under $1000: Sonos Sub
- All-new Sonos Sub - Hear and feel the difference with Sub, the wireless subwoofer for deep bass.
- No buzz, just bass - Two force-canceling drivers at the center of Sub eliminate vibration and rattle so you get powerful bass without any distortion.
- Made to be seen and heard - The award-winning and versatile design features a slim, sculptural shape and high-gloss finish. Stand Sub upright or lay it on its side.
If you are looking for a product that blows you away with its power and sound quality while giving you hands-free control of the device, you don’t need to look further than the Sonos Sub.
The Sonos has been designed to deliver deep bass and clear sound, even at lower frequencies, without distortion. It can be connected to your Wi-Fi network at home, linked to the Sonos app, and even integrated into your Amazon Alexa devices to control through voice commands.
It is also equipped with two different force-canceling speaker drivers that ensure a cabinet buzz or rattling disturbances don’t sully your music. The only issue is that you will be required to buy products from within the Sonos ecosystem, as it isn’t compatible with products from other manufacturers.
- The Sonos Sub can be linked to home automation devices like Amazon Alexa and controlled through voice commands.
- The app is intuitive and easy to use.
- The sound quality that this unit offers is simply remarkable.
- The sub is equipped with two force-canceling speaker drivers facing each other.
- This is one of the more expensive products available for subwoofers, but it still doesn’t come close to the $1,000 mark.
- You cannot use this with speakers from any other manufacturer, so you will be locked into the Sonos ecosystem.
5. Best Under $500: ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010
No products found.
Not everyone is comfortable with spending $1,000 on a subwoofer, so we have gone down one notch to find you the best option under $500 and our pick is the ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 Subwoofer.
With the SUB3010’s sophisticated Bluetooth control, you can easily control the subwoofer from your smartphone. This function makes accessing different options and modifications simple, improving the user experience overall.
The subwoofer also features auto EQ, which employs eight parametric curves to automatically improve room equalization; this guarantees the best possible sound reproduction for your listening situation. For finer tuning, manual EQ changes are also possible.
The SUB3010’s strong performance is one of its most notable features. It features a 10-inch passive radiator and a 10-inch long-throw bass driver that combine to produce powerful, deep bass. A 400-Watt Bash amplifier powers the subwoofer, giving it enough power for a dramatic and powerful bass response.
The SUB3010’s reinforced MDF cabinet is a testament to its impressive construction quality. The horizontal center brace stiffens and strengthens the cabinet, reducing unintentional vibrations that could impair sound quality. This design guarantees precise and accurate low-frequency reproduction with no distortion or overhang.
Additionally, the SUB3010 provides ease of app control. You may control numerous subwoofers simultaneously by downloading the ELAC SubEQ app to your smartphone. This function simplifies fine-tuning the sound to your tastes by enabling seamless integration and subwoofer setting change.
- Advanced Bluetooth Control.
- Auto EQ Feature
- Powerful Bass Performance
- Braced MDF Cabinet
- App Control and Multiple Subwoofer Integration
- Limited Connectivity Options
- App Dependency: The subwoofer’s advanced functions, such as auto EQ and control settings, rely on the ELAC SubEQ app, so consumers who prefer manual control or who don’t like using smartphone applications may not find those features appealing.
6. Best Under $300: Polk Audio PSW10
- POWERED SUBWOOFER FOR EXTRA BASS & PUNCH – A 10-inch Dynamic Balance woofer & a uniquely configured directed port provides accurate bass with added depth that brings your music and movies alive. A...
Our pick for the best subwoofer for listening to music in the under-$300 category is the Polk Audio PSW10 10-inch powered subwoofer.
The Polk Audio PSW10 10″ Powered Subwoofer is a well-respected choice when boosting your music and movie sound system. This subwoofer’s 10-inch Dynamic Balance woofer and focused port produce precise, deep bass that makes your audio come to life. It is ideal for many configurations because it is for small-to-mid-sized rooms.
The PSW10’s ability to sustain clean and balanced sound even at high levels is remarkable. The subwoofer’s ability to withstand challenging frequencies without distorting them creates an exciting and engaging listening experience. A 50-watt RMS amp is added, doubling the amplifier’s output and providing dynamic performance and exceptional longevity.
Because the PSW10 is simple to attach to a receiver for immediate audio enhancement, integration with existing systems is effortless. You may fine-tune the subwoofer to your preferences thanks to its frequency response of 40-160 Hz (-3dB) and continuously variable 80-160 Hz crossover. The subwoofer is a complete and well-rounded unit. It also has a stylish removable grille, speaker and line-level inputs, speaker-level outputs, and a Phase Toggle Switch for multi-subwoofer installations.
The PSW10 makes use of cutting-edge technologies for the best performance. Its Klippel distortion analyzer guarantees accurate voice coil alignment, suspension, and motor structure, resulting in fluid and unhindered movement over a wide range of lower frequencies. Low frequencies are produced by the subwoofer’s resonance-free Dynamic Balance driver materials, which also improve system blending.
The PSW10 has two RCA stereo line-level inputs, two pairs of spring terminals for speaker inputs, two pairs of spring terminals for audio outputs, and two pairs of spring terminals for speaker outputs. This adaptability makes incorporation into any audio configuration simple.
- Powerful Bass
- Clear and Balanced Sound
- Easy Integration
- Durable Construction
- Versatile Connectivity
- Limited Power
- Limited Frequency Range
- Basic Controls
7. Best Under $100 — Monoprice 108248
- This is an 8" powered subwoofer capable of producing 60 watts (RMS) output. The subwoofer has a frequency response range of 50 to 250 Hz with a lowpass crossover filter, which can be adjusted from 50...
Many people don’t get the hype behind subwoofers, but as people who have seen a complete overhaul of the listening experience, we recommend that you try these devices before judging.
If you don’t want to spend too much money on trying something new, the Monoprice 108248 8-Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer will definitely be worth your time and money.
While it may seem a little boring that the company did not even decide to give an actual name to the subwoofer, you are getting what you pay for.
The frequency range stands at about 50Hz and 150Hz, which is significantly lower than most other options on the list, but so is the price. You get decent bass and overall solid performance for a fraction of what you would be paying for one of the more sophisticated options. It is excellent for people who want to experience how subwoofers can improve their listening experience.
- The price is unmatched. This is one of the most affordable subwoofers available in the market right now.
- While the unit is very simple, it does accept both line and speaker-level inputs, which increases its functionality.
- The bass provided by this device is good enough for rooms in your house or enclosed spaces.
- You cannot expect the same quality as some of the more advanced subwoofers mentioned on this list.
- The frequency response range is relatively lower than the other subwoofers, between 50Hz and 150Hz.
Comparison Table: Subwoofers for Music
|Product Name||Size||Power Handling||Our Pick For|
|SVS SB-1000||12″||RMS: 325W, Max: 820+W||Best Overall|
|Yamaha NS-SW050||8″||RMS: 50W, Max: 100W||Best Small|
|ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030||12″||RMS: 500W, Max:1000W||Best Powered|
|Sonos Sub Subwoofer||Unspecified by Sonos||Unspecified by Sonos||Best Under $1000|
|ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010||10″||RMS: 400W||Best Under $500|
|Polk Audio PSW10||10″||RMS: 50W, Max: 100W||Best Under $300|
|Monoprice 108248||8″||RMS: 60W, Max: Unspecified||Best Under $100|
6 Reasons You Need a Subwoofer for Music
Many people find themselves conflicted over whether or not they should spend their money buying a subwoofer to augment the original sound quality of their speakers or not. Still, if you have used a subwoofer with your speakers for music, you already know the answer to this dilemma.
Subwoofers will not steal the thunder from your speakers; they will simply augment the sound quality that reaches your ears when you put on your favorite music. Here are some of the reasons why we recommend it so you get a good quality subwoofer in your life:
1. Reveals Sounds That Your Speaker Cannot Reproduce Alone
Regardless of how much money you spend on your speakers, most start dropping off notes at about 50Hz. This means you can’t get the full depth and clarity of the bass, which can change your entire experience altogether.
If you invest in a good quality subwoofer, you may be able even to reach sounds lower than 20Hz, transforming your entire experience, as you don’t face the risk of missing even a single note here and there. Therefore, subs can be your path to a completely immersive music experience.
2. Reduced Distortion Even at Loud Volumes
While lower sounds can be complex for some speakers to detect clearly, very high volumes can also drastically drop the quality of your music. The main reason behind this is that your speakers may be facing trouble with keeping up with some of the mid-drivers or the tweeters produced at excessively high volumes.
If you want your music to be free of distortions regardless of the volume you are listening to it at, investing in a subwoofer may be a good option.
3. Reproduces All Notes of the Low-Frequency Spectrum
Many of the speakers available for purchase in the market have a particular signature that you can add to the musicyou are playing on it. With a good-quality subwoofer, this isn’t the case. These little — or big — devices give you access to the exact bass notes that the music and the artist are looking to deliver to the people listening.
This means that if you add a subwoofer to your music, you will be able to get a more authentic listening experience.
4. Great Speed and Transient Response
Music isn’t solely developed based on the speakers that you will be listening to it on. For this reason, many genres have quick starts and stops that can be tough on your speakers, which may end up missing some notes. This can make the acoustics sound a little distorted. With a subwoofer with good speed and transient response, the bass will not be smeared, and you will get a more precise feel of the music you are playing.
5. Enhances Quality by Blending with Your Speaker Seamlessly
As mentioned before, the subwoofer is not trying to overpower the speakers that you are using. The rationale behind employing a speaker is an enhanced experience that doesn’t stand out too much from the original sound that the speaker would be producing.
The ultimate test of a good subwoofer is whether it can act as an extension of the speakers you are using. It is the tool that helps your speakers reach their best performance.
6. Getting More Out of Smaller Speakers
Finally, another reason you may want to add a subwoofer to your existing speakers is that it can help you get a better performance out of relatively smaller speakers.
A low-frequency amplifier and a bass management system are usually a part of the parcel regarding powered subwoofers. Using a sub, you may be able to drive any kind of speaker to better overall performance.
Enhance Your Listening Experience
After going through the list of the top subwoofers for music, you may find yourself better equipped to decide when it comes to purchasing and adding a subwoofer to your listening experience so that the ‘feel’ of the music enhances exponentially.
With the different product options available at various price points, there is a sub here to fit any budget and need. For example, if you aren’t sure about the difference a subwoofer will make, you can choose one of the budget options.
If you have already owned a subwoofer in the past, you may be inclined to invest in something that enhances the experience even further. There is something here for everyone.
- 15 Songs You Need A Great Subwoofer To Fully Experience
- 8 Best Home Theater Subwoofers That Will Bring The Cinema To You In 2023
- 9 Best Car Subwoofers To Enhance Your Daily Commute in 2023 (Top Options Only)
- 7 Best 12 Inch Subwoofers In 2022 (Home or Car Audio & All Budgets)
Trent is a music lover, musical instrument player and passionate audio afficionado.