Regardless of whether you are listening to music, watching a movie on your home theater, or playing a game, the audio is one such factor that can elevate the entire experience exponentially.
While there are many people who just make do with whatever sound quality is offered to them by the original television or a substandard set of speakers, once you have listened to the audio produced by one of the best tower speakers that are available, there is no going back.
In this guide, our reviews will be looking deeper into some of the ultimate high end floor standing speakers that every audiophile will love!
Quick List: Best Tower Speakers in 2022
- Best Overall: SVS Ultra Tower Flagship 3-Way Loudspeaker
- Best Tower Speakers for Music Listening: Dynaudio Xeo 30 Floorstanding Speakers
- Best Tower Speakers for Home Theater: Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Three-Way Tower Speakers
- Best Tower Speakers for The Money: Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Speaker
- Best Tower Speakers Under $2000: MartinLogan Motion 40 Tower Speakers
- Best Tower Speakers Under $1000: Klipsch RP-280F Reference Premiere Floorstanding Speaker
- Best Tower Speakers Under $500: ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speaker
- Best Tower Speakers Under $200: Polk T50 150 Watt Home Theater Floor Standing Tower Speaker
- Best Budget Tower Speakers: BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker
Top 9 Best Tower Speaker Reviews
As you may have noticed from the section above, this guide will help you traverse through a large number of tower speakers that are available for sale online and in stores.
While all of these are exceptional products in terms of sound quality, big performance and other features, just looking at the name of the floor standing speakers will not give you all the precise information that you need to make a better choice.
In the section below, we have delved deeper into each of the options on the list above so that you can get a better idea about the advantages and disadvantages of choosing any of these great speakers.
1. Best Overall: SVS Ultra Tower Flagship 3-Way Loudspeaker
If flawless sound is your ultimate aim and you are not particularly strapped for cash, there is no tower speaker that will give you a more impressive performance in terms of sound quality, build and design than the SVS Ultra Tower. The punch and depth offered by this set of speakers & subwoofers gives you that kind of audio quality that can knock a person’s socks off.
The speaker features twin mid-range drivers and a single tweeter and this isn’t even the most impressive part of the entire setup. The twin 8-inch woofers are set low on either side of the speaker and give you bass that just cannot be explained using words. However, you must keep in mind that these speakers are not meant for the weak-hearted.
- The sound produced by these speakers is not just great, it is simply mind blowing.
- Features three-way speakers that perform perfectly when it comes to the bass and deliver just as well when it comes to the midrange and higher frequencies.
- While these speakers are not the cheapest — or cheap at all — when it comes to tower speakers, they match up to some of the other options that are almost double their price.
- The SVS speakers create a soundstage that gives you the unique combination of expansiveness and precision.
- This is one of the more expensive sets of speakers in this category, which may make them out of budget for many customers.
- While some people find the shape of these speakers to be odd and inconvenient, others may find it interesting and different.
2. Best Tower Speakers for Music Listening: Dynaudio Xeo 30 Floorstanding Speakers
- High-performance powered floor standing speaker
- 65 watts of pure power amplifies each driver
As one of the best companies in the world for speakers, there is no surprise that the Dynaudio has made its way to this list with a product that isn’t quite top of the range when compared to the others manufactured by the company, but is surely impressive in this price range — which isn’t low either.
If you are looking for an impressive set of bluetooth enabled tower speakers that give you a lot of flexibility because of their wireless build, there is no looking beyond the Dynaudio Xeo 30 Floorstanding Speakers. The functionality and sound quality of this product are spectacular, which makes this our choice for the top tower speakers for listening to music, but remember that these are not cheap, but are worth it!
- These speakers are Bluetooth enabled, which makes them one of the most convenient tower speakers to use.
- The package comes with two speakers, so you don’t have to shell out double the money if you want a set that has two speakers.
- The speakers are designed very beautifully and can add that modern touch to any room that they are placed in.
- The speakers are wireless, which is one of those features that are usually missing in this category of tower speakers.
- As these are the most expensive speakers on this list, not everyone may be inclined to shell out so much money for a better listening experience.
- There are other options on this list that may be cheaper and still provide an impressive sound quality.
3. Best Tower Speakers for Home Theater: Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Three-Way Tower Speakers
- Mastering precision and sonic accuracy, the Signature Series uses only premium components that ensure high fidelity sound transporting the concert into your living room
Traditionally, tower speakers have been considered the ideal audio solution for amping up the quality of sound of your home theater system and our pick for the best speakers in this particular category is the Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Three-Way Tower Speakers.
Considered one of the best quality speakers because of its durable build and impressive sound quality. The twin 8-inch woofers help in getting the effect that is otherwise only possible with a good subwoofer for home theater. In addition to this, the speakers come with spikes for the base, which helps in preventing damage to the floor and isolating the speakers from any vibrations.
- This is a very stylish set of tower speakers, which can add that touch of elegance to any room that it is placed in.
- These speakers & woofers give an exceptional performance and really delivers when it comes to the bass output.
- The build is very sturdy and impressive, as the company lays great emphasis on cabinet engineering.
- Features floor isolation spikes that you can install to get a vibration-free listening experience.
- If you enjoy listening to music or watching movies at very high volumes, you may notice some distortion in the sound quality.
- As the emphasis was on building a product that is pretty sturdy, these speakers are not going to be lightweight and too easy to move around.
4. Best Tower Speakers for The Money: Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Speaker
- TOP OF THE LINE FLOORSTANDING SPEAKER – Equipped with a 1" Dynamic Balance dome tweeter and four (4) 6.5" Dynamic Balance woofers, this tower speaker guarantees BETTER SOUND QUALITY WITH IMMENSE...
Not everyone is comfortable with spending thousands of dollars on speakers and we understand that. The newest innovation as a part of Polk’s Monitor Series that first grabbed eyeballs in the 1970s, the Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Speaker is one of the best performing speakers at a relatively affordable price point. This means that you do not compromise on features, quality or budget.
This Polk Audio speaker will not aim to ‘wow’ you with its looks, but focus on the quality of sound and minimizing distortion instead. The bass is deep and powerful, along with an improved performance in the midranges. For the price that it is being offered it is a great choice and it seems like a deal that is too good to be true but impresses you with the performance nonetheless.
- Features unbelievable sound quality and details for the price that you are paying.
- This tower speaker is able to give you a very full sound with adequate emphasis on all the different elements.
- When it comes to the frequency response, it is particularly impressive in the midrange and the highs, which come out clean and warm. The silk dome tweeters add a premium feel.
- The sound distortion is minimized, which is very impressive for this price range.
- The design and packaging of the product are fairly commonplace, which takes away from a speaker that is otherwise brilliant.
- The quality of construction cannot be compared to some of the more expensive and more detailed speakers that are also on this list.
5. Best Tower Speakers Under $2000: Martin Logan Motion 40 Tower Speakers
If you have a good budget and want to get your hands on the best option within that range, the Martin Logan Motion 40 is definitely what you need to be looking at. The speakers are equipped with Folded Motion tweeters that can perform exceedingly well at even higher frequencies. This is different from the standard 1-inch dome tweeter as it needs 90% less excursion, which leads to a clearer and more detailed sound. Distortion is also minimized.
The speakers also feature dual bass drivers and midrange drivers built with aluminum. The overall construction is light yet sturdy, which makes it a complete package for people with an above-average budget. The cabinets these floor standing speakers have are very well designed and easy on the eye.
- These floor standing speakers have one of the most impressively designed cabinets that are meant to perform bass-reflex functions.
- The sound produced is so clear and crisp that you will not regret the purchase at any time along the line.
- The speakers are built to minimize distortion across the board, which helps in delivering high-quality sound regardless of the frequencies.
- The company gives you the option to choose between spiked or rubber dome feet, but most people prefer the latter for the safety of their floors.
- If you are planning to use these speakers in large rooms, you will be required to invest in an amplifier.
- The price point may not be suitable for people who are just trying out some tower speakers for the first time.
6. Best Tower Speakers Under $1000: Klipsch RP-280F Reference Premier Floorstanding Speaker
- Purchase this bundle and receive a pair of Klipsch RP280F Ebony Reference Premier Tower Speakers.
The largest speaker in the company’s Reference Premier series, the Klipsch RP-280F gives you sound that you will be showing off for the years to come without burning too large of a hole in your pocket.
It features the Klipsch signature Tractrix Horn tweeters that are encompassed in an especially designed cabinet for better detail. It also has a dual 8-inch woofer, which puts it in the same range as some of the other top choices on this list.
While the sound is impeccable, the design of this product also deserves a mention. This isn’t your average black speaker. It features a blend of copper accents that are traditionally found on a lot of Klipsch products and take the style quotient up a notch.
- When compared to a lot of the more expensive tower speakers available for purchase, this Klipsch model performs exceeding well, especially for the price that you will be paying.
- The design of these speakers stands out from the generic black finish that a lot of similar speakers tend to have.
- One of the best speakers manufactured by Klipsch, the RP-280F has the company’s signature Tractrix Horn but it is installed in a cabinet that allows for increased detail when it comes to sound.
- The sound produced is incredible, it is so loud and powerful, without consuming too much power or letting in distortion.
- The base of these speakers is larger than most others on this list, which makes it take up more space than you may like.
- The copper finish on these speakers may not be in line with everyone’s style.
7. Best Tower Speakers Under $500: ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speaker
- Custom-designed concentric driver. Frequency response-?42 to 25,000?Hz
- Balanced three-way design
Budgetary restrictions can seem very limiting sometimes but they don’t necessarily have to prevent you from getting your hands on a good quality tower speaker with great features.
The ELAC Uni-fi UF5 Floorstanding Speaker is a great option for those of you who want to stick to a smaller budget and still not compromise on the quality.
It is built with a 1-inch soft dome tweeter that is set within a 4-inch aluminum midrange driver. There are also three 5.25-inch aluminum woofers that help in minimizing the distortion across the working frequency ranges of the drivers.
- This is one of those products that give you the best value because of the sound that they succeed in producing.
- The speakers effortlessly give you very impressive clarity across frequency ranges, which is a definite advantage for audiophiles.
- They have been constructed very well using high-quality materials, which is usually an issue with the more affordable options.
- This is a three-way speaker, which means great performance across the board.
- If you are looking to place this device in a large room and do not want to compromise on the bass, a dedicated amplifier will be required.
- These are not the right option for people who stream a lot of music online, as they are quick to expose any low-quality audio through the output.
8. Best Tower Speakers Under $200: Polk T50 Home Theater Floor Standing Tower Speaker
- GET SUPERIOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE WITH IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND & HI-RES AUDIO. Featuring a 1" tweeter, a 6.5" Driver and (2) 6.5" Bass Radiators. The 2 bass radiators augment the main woofer and...
Another well priced and versatile Polk Audio product to make its way to this list is the T50 model and there are many reasons for that. First and foremost, this Polk Audio floorstanding speaker is quite an inexpensive option for people who don’t want to spend too much money and still get good sound.
The process of setting up these speakers is fairly uncomplicated, which means you need no technical expertise to get started. The overall build is decent, with a design that is classic and without any frills.
While it may not be the best option for larger rooms or a theater, this affordable speaker works like magic when it comes to small or medium-sized rooms.
- The price point is affordable and almost unbeatable and can suit even those of you who don’t want to spend too much on a tower speaker.
- The product is designed simply so that it doesn’t take away from any of the other highlights of the room. It is also not very heavy.
- The bass given out by the Polk tower speakers is tight and clean.
- The midrange performance of these speakers is very impressive despite the price.
- The quality of these tower speakers will not impress you, as the constructions gives away the cheaper price tag to some degree.
- This packaging includes only one speaker, so if you are looking for a pair, you may have to look at your budget once again.
9. Best Budget Tower Speakers: BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker
- 10 watts to 200 watts
- Two 6.5 in. active woofers with two 6.5 in. passive radiators
- One .75 in. tweeter
The final product on this list is the BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker. While this is a two-way speaker — as opposed to many of the other floor-standing speakers that were three-way speakers — the performance that you get with these speakers is quite impressive, especially when you look at the price point that they are available at.
These speakers perform well with your home theater system as well as other devices and are powerful enough to meet all your basic needs. The best part is the warranty, which is relatively long for such models.
- At this price point, this is one of the best possible options for people looking for a budget tower speaker.
- The speakers come with covers that are built with a high-quality mesh.
- The sound quality is very impressive for the price that you are paying.
- The look of the product is clean and aesthetically quite pleasing.
- Some customers have faced issues with the different parts of the speakers, but there is nothing that the warranty cannot help you with.
- As these are some of the cheapest speakers available for purchase, you cannot expect the same quality as some of the higher models.
Floorstanding Speakers: Comparison Table
|Product Name||Frequency Response||Key Feature||Our Pick For|
|SVS Ultra Tower||28Hz – 32kHz||ForceFactor woofer array with two 8-inch drivers||Best Overall|
|Dynaudio Xeo 30||36Hz – 21kHz||aptX Bluetooth||Best for Music Listening|
|Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi||35Hz – 20kHz||Woofers that Reproduce Concert Inspired Bass||Best for Home Theater|
|Polk Monitor 70 Series II||30Hz – 25kHz||Cascade Tapered Array technology||Best for the Money|
|Martin Logan Motion 40||40Hz – 20kHz||Signature Folded Motion® Tweeters||Best Under $2000|
|Klipsch RP-280F||32Hz – 25kHz||90×90 Hybrid Tractrix Horn||Best Under $1000|
|ELAC Uni-fi UF5||42Hz – 25kHz||Custom-designed concentric driver||Best Under $500|
|Polk T50||38Hz – 24kHz||Create a 5.1 home theater set-up with compatible Polk T-series speakers||Best Under $200|
|BIC America Venturi DV64||29Hz – 21kHz||Rich, black wood-grain cabinet||Best Budget Option|
Tower Speaker Buying Guide
There are many exceptional products and brands that have been reviewed in the section above but in order to choose the one that suits your needs in the best possible way, it is important that you understand the different elements that make up a good tower speaker.
In addition to this, there are a number of things that you need to keep in mind while zeroing in on the best tower speaker, some of which are mentioned in our guide below.
Tower vs Bookshelf Speakers
Essentially, the main difference between these two types of speakers is self evident — the floor standing tower is tall and thin like a tower, while the bookshelf speakers are short and usually pretty light so as to fit on a bookshelf. Floor standing speakers are usually more powerful than bookshelf speakers and also give out wider sound.
The key word here is “usually”. There are also some instances where high quality bookshelf speakers are able to give even larger tower speakers a run for their money. If you want the best possible experience, however, you must consider purchasing both bookshelf and tower speakers and even in-ceiling speakers for your home theater.
The placement of tower speakers is not as crucial to the sound quality as the placement of other elements like the subwoofer but that does not mean that you turn a blind eye to it and simply place it anywhere you feel like.
Most people put their floorstanding tower speakers next to the TV or stereo, leaving some space behind the speakers and stand. You can also try to move the speakers around your living room so that a number of different positions are experienced and you can pick the most stylish one. However, keep in mind that placing the speakers in corners could decrease the quality of bass.
Passive speakers are the ones that come without an in-built amplifier and require the purchase of an external amplifier to get the best performance out of the device. On the other hand, powered speakers — often referred to as active speakers — are the ones that come with their own amplifier built into the system.
The latter is better for everyday use, as you don’t have to bother about the additional steps. Most of the newer tower speakers are active speakers.
Drivers are basically the individual engines that produce the sound that you listen to by combining the electronic components to convert the audio signal into the sound that you hear. The most basic good quality speakers will have at least three drivers in a single unit, while the more expensive ones will sometimes pack six or seven drivers into the unit.
These may be the tweeters, midrange drivers and the woofers, for the higher, mid-level and lower sounds. While cheaper speakers usually come with cone tweeters, the better ones use dome tweeters.
The power that any given speaker is able to push out is referred to as the wattage of that speaker. Looking at the watts per channel will give you an insight into how much power each driver has.
Wattage is usually split into two types — peak and continuous. While the peak power is the maximum capacity of the speaker, you need to look at the continuous power if you want a realistic look at the wattage of the device. This is basically an average wattage. This factor is also very important when you are looking at amplifiers for the floorstanding speakers.
If you were to look at frequencies in the simplest way possible, this is a measure of how low and high the sounds are. In theory, the wider the frequency range of the speakers, the more detailed sound they will be capable of producing. However, you must keep in mind that humans cannot hear beyond 20,000 Hertz or 20 kHz.
Hi-Fi vs. Home Theater
Many people find themselves confused over the appropriate use of floor standing or tower speakers. Are they meant to be used for listening to music or should they help in taking your home theater system to the next level audio wise? The traditional consensus here is that tower speakers work best when you are using them with your home theater system.
If you are looking to build a hi-fi music system, many believe that you should stick to bookshelf speakers and a small subwoofer for music. However, because of the superior sound quality promised by tower speakers, and the exciting amount of bass they produce you can essentially use them in both cases.
Three-Way vs. Two-way Floor Standing Speakers
These are some of those terms that you commonly find under the features of different speakers. The meaning is quite simple. With two-way speakers, the frequencies are split into two — the lows and the highs — using two different types of drivers — woofers and tweeters.
With three-way speakers, the frequencies are separated into mids, lows and highs. This requires the presence of a midrange driver, which helps them produce sound that is more detailed. However, keep in mind that there are cases where a good two-way speaker can beat a three-way speaker.
Tower Speakers For Every Budget!
Whatever your budgetary restrictions may be, getting your hands on the best tower speakers & subwoofers for your home can add a lot of character to your entertainment systems. After going through this guide and these reviews, you will be able to gauge whether or not tower speakers are the right option for you, what kind of floor standing speakers meet your requirements as well as the different price points at which these speakers are available.
This helps in ensuring that you remain within your budget and still get your hands on a good system that will not just give you the ultimate sound experience but also be of great quality and design.
There is no reason for you to put off buying that set of tower speakers — or an individual unit — that you have been thinking of for a while now. Instead, you can just choose one from among the options mentioned above and get ready to stand out from the crowd and enjoy the sound of your lifetime!
- What Does 7.1 Channel Mean for a Surround Sound Setup?
- What Does 5.1 Channel Mean for Surround Sound Home Theater?
- What Does 3.1 Channel Mean for Sound Systems?
- What Does 2.1 Channel Mean for Speakers & Soundbars?
- Polk Monitor XT20 Bookshelf Speakers Review
Simon is a music lover, musical instrument player and passionate audio afficionado. When he is not playing the guitar or listening to music he is either eating tacos or snoring too loudly.